After many days I am sitting late in the office. I've got an offer to migrate to another country but am not sure about the moolah. I am debating whether to take the plunge and figure it out later or negotiate. The risk is that the negotiation may go the wrong path and I might lose the opportunity. There is a trade off here on both sides. The plus side - Very few companies go through the pain of sponsoring a candidate from India and this one chose me over the local candidates. They loved me, period. The could be flip side - They might be short changing me on the CTC and I am not sure of that. A few mentors said that is the price I may have to pay for getting the opportunity to do what I am good at (i.e. sales) and I could look at the upswing a year down the line. I agree with moi mentors but umm. A one day research doesn't help. I'll flip a coin tonight and decide.
BTW, I had a chat with the father of Indian BPO (you can easily find out who he is from Google). One of my ex-bosses met him and casually referred me to him. It was simply amazing and needless to say he made me an offer. My only qualm is that I have been doing these things since the last 6 years and they don't challenge me any more. It's showtime actually and I want to lead from the front. So I am going to have to do a polite refusal. Sigh. A few years ago I would have cut my little finger's nail to work with him.
And then there is another super duper company which is in love with me too. But the CEO needs two weeks to get back to me as he needs to create that appropriate profile. From a career perspective, this company is the best fit for me supposing I get the onsite role. But I am in a quandary. The first company needs an answer right away. Would it be morally right to accept their offer and then chuck it if the super company offers me a role as well? I would hate to let someone down but this is a question of my career. I feel this is an inflection point and whatever I do now will be a quantum leap in either direction depending on the move. Moi heart tells me to go ahead with whoever showed confidence in me for an onsite role but my mind tells me to wait and watch.
Any suggestions?
BTW, I think I am getting good at interviews. Talking to 6 and getting 6 offers is good eh..If things work out, I'll have to make one last trip to aamchi Mumbai and then vamoooose next month.
Current Music: The Cranberries - When You're Gone
9 comments:
Hi
I am sure you will do what you think is best. For me personally, once I say yes to one company, I do not then take another offer. Also I stick with an entity, even if I don't like it for a year, which seems to be fair. All the best in your career.
Good going. Whatever u choose to do, all the best for that! :)
do as ur heart says 2....i believe it will turn out 2 be the best......
luck......
It's great you have scruples, but jeez...it's a business decision. You're the only one who's truly looking out for your best interest. I don't think it's terrible to keep one on the hook while you're waiting for the other to take the bait. Companies make decisions all the time based on 'good business sense.' That's all this is...business...and should be treated as such.
Lubna: I agree with you on being principled but after all these years I think its time to get practical too :) No company is going to think twice before showing the axe in case the environment dwindles further so...
Hey Ria/Jay: Tx.
A: I would never have known its you if not for the "jeez" :) Tx. I was thinking on the same lines.
Impressive :).
And to answer your question: have is easy done. Going beyond the need, it's a completion of one's self. You cannot find it with just anyone though.
Oooh...look at you - so wanted!! :) Doesn't it feel good?
Hey, very nice to read this. All the best. Think and follow your heart. Wat is it that you are looking for? Finally, do what you actually love doing and what you feel is best, the money and the opportunities follow. Don't feel bad about rejecting offers even if they have been nice. End of the day, it's business and see what makes most sense to you.
My hubby took a salary cut to get what he wanted, but he is doing amazingly well now. That was an eye-opener for me cos, I would have never gone for a salary cut in a new org just because I love the role or the job. I am also getting better with interviews, though I haven't had a 6 on 6.:-)
Kabir: Spot on. It's tough but you wont find it unless you try. So am on course here :)
Nautilus: :)
Arunima: I am doing exactly what you said. Its all falling in line. The company, the money, the role and future prospects. The 6 on 6 was because I never tried to "pass". It was just conversational. I've realised when you try hard for a particular thing, chances are you wont get it at times.
Post a Comment