9.25.2006

The Silent Touch

In moi previous post on fav music, Ejaz mentioned he would like to know moi fav instrumentals. It's difficult to categorize. It would be pure injustice to attempt to do so. Or maybe I am not exposed to such a breadth. Either way:

1 - "Le Pasteur" by Gabriel Grovlez - A brilliant haunting piece. I happened to listen to it on a foggy day in London at a acquaintance's house. We have become close friends since.

2 - "La Mer" by Claude Debussy - It enthralled me even at the age of 12. A kid who had no idea of classic music. But mebbe the taste :)

3 - "The Goldberg Variations" by Bach - I hear this when I am alone. When I need some quiet. And some peace. And a caress on moi sweaty brow.

4 - "The Pomp and Circumstance Marches" - It's just different.

5 - "Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor" by Rachmininov - Masterful. No other way to describe it.

Like I mentioned, it's difficult to stop at 5 but stop I must. A few from the movies are worth a listen too:

1 - "Gladiator" - Hans Zimmer has done a great job in the entire album. I particularly liked "Sorrow".

2 - "Scent of a Woman" by Thomas Newman. Who can forget the backdrop?

Okay, Ejaz?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, sho shweet of you, WMP :)
Thanks for sharing the short list. Now, I am looking forward to see more and more :)
It's such a shame I haven't heard some of them. I am sure given the previous and current list, the rest of those I haven't listened to as yet will be nice too.
I say, we should hang around sometime, online of course :)
Sorrow by Zimmer was such nice from Gladiator with Honor Him.
How about Vangelis? He's pure delight to watch (see his videos of Chariots of Fire and Conquest of Paradise's title tracks). He singlehandedly put a soul into these otherwise only good movies. All over the world, including Pakistani and Indian dramas and Ads have copied his music already :)

And didn't you see Yanni's recent (Aug2006) concert at Mandalay Bay, LA. Man, you'd be as much enthrilled to see such wide diversity of musicians as much you might have liked his soft piano compositions.

In more mature and visually complex compositions, Ennio Morricone and Vangelis probably would rank very high on my list. And yeah, Thomas Newman on Scent of a Woman was so nice.
You're so adorable, WMP, you know that :D
Hey, while we are at Thomas Newman, I loveddd and was in trance for several minutes at the starting title of "Road to Perdition". Oh, how i love old music :( Is that too weird for a 26yr old guy :(

Okay, may be I do have young body with old soul, afterall.

Prmod Bafna said...

Oooh! great taste in instrumental as well!! I for one totally loved the gladiator soundtrack including sorrow and elysium just beautiful!!

Keshi said...

Im not much of an instrumental fan..but maybe I should start that too :) Tnxxx for the info here.

Keshi.

Wanderer said...

Phew! This is a bouncer for me, ignorant that I am in instrumental... but your list sure made me start wanting to listen to them all. :)

Anonymous said...

Mien Gott! NO Beethoven? Pastoral had me hooked....haven't looked back since then....eons ago! :D!!

~Lord Anshul said...

try one piano instrumental by yanni. its called "the one who knows" beautiful piece...and thrs another pino piece by raul diblasio..dont know the name of the song..its title was piano solo :(..one of the best instrumental piece i've ever heard

and in movies, i like background score of two clint eastwood movies..unforgiven and million dollar baby.

White Magpie said...

Ejaz: Yeppers. Have heard em all. Didn't see Yanni in LA but I did see Diecide live in LA haha..Great choice..Vangelis is great too. I esp like his Bladerunner after Chariots of fire.

Prmod: Yeah..the whole soundtrack is great..Was hearing it end to end for quite some time...

Keshi: Ye must persevere with instrumentals. Esp the classics. Only then will something emerge. Happened with me. Some will click instantly and others grow on you.

Lovemarks: Go ahead. And if u can find Grovlez I will be willing to buy..

Cherie: :D

Lord Anshul: Welcome!! I love that piece of Yanni. In fact that is the only one I like. Ye hit the nail on the head. And speaking of westerns - the title of fistful of dollars was great too...

P said...

Never been the one for instrumental but you've gotten my interest piqued just a bit.. :)

starry said...

I can see you love music. good insight of the types of music you like.

Nautilus said...

Magpie, I'm really, really impressed! Not very many people can actually list out instrumental favorites! I have a slight problem with putting classical music in that category, but then I've lots of problems with lots of things:-)

Your taste is quite unusual too. I'd suggest the Wild Orchids soundtrack...its really wonderful...try it!

Nautilus said...

Magpie, I'm really, really impressed! Not very many people can actually list out instrumental favorites! I have a slight problem with putting classical music in that category, but then I've lots of problems with lots of things:-)

Your taste is quite unusual too. I'd suggest the Wild Orchids soundtrack...its really wonderful...try it!

Nautilus said...

Magpie, I'm really, really impressed! Not very many people can actually list out instrumental favorites! I have a slight problem with putting classical music in that category, but then I've lots of problems with lots of things:-)

Your taste is quite unusual too. I'd suggest the Wild Orchids soundtrack...its really wonderful...try it!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

anything by miles davis.
peaches en reagalia by frank zappa
beethovens 9th
shostakovich's 4th
revolution 9 by the beatles
larks tongues in aspic (1,2 &3) by king crimson

??

White Magpie said...

Perspective: Just a bit is like Adam biting the apple. Beware :)

Starry nights: And what do you like?

Nautilus: Trust me it took some pleading, fighting and heart to heart conversations with Mozart, Vivaldi, Chopin and the others as to why they weren't here ;). Thanks for the recommendation. Will find it. I love recos.

Chai: Of course. Glad u are awright. :)

Cocaine Jesus: I guess u love jazz a lot. I love Mancini followed by Miles Davis. OF course, there are heaps of talented artistes out there but just so u know. And Shostakovich is great...Larks tongues I gotta hear..

Pecos Blue said...

I am going to check some of these out.

Pecos Blue said...

I am going to check some of these out.

teacup said...

hey I love sorrow tooo!! that is quite surprisin, since not many like it:)...my other fav is from the 'The Hours'...by Philip glass...just has this final quality to it...makes u want to live ur life better everytime u hear it...it's like whenver I hear that song...I start noticing my smallest actions...doing evrythign with consciousness...

Varsha said...

Nice list...haven't heard many of these...shall do that now....

White Magpie said...

Pecos: Great!! I hope u like em..

Yashita: Dontcha get all philosophical now :) Just becuz ye are in Pune..Teasing..I know whatcha mean..

Varsha: Finally varsha on me..Let me know what u think..

Anonymous said...

Since a child I've loved Debussy's "La Mer."
Discovered Rachminikov as an adult. Awesome.
Am going to listen to more from your list. (I'm terrible at remembering which classical music I like.) Thx for recommendations.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Maybe you can access my site by clicking on the link whenever I leave a comment here? (No one else has said he/she has trouble accessing my site, so I don't know what to do.)

White Magpie said...

Silvermoon: Methinx I will have to find some way out of this. I tried your recommendation the first thing when I couldn't access your site. It's no go yet.

Anonymous said...

Since clicking the link here on your site works for me to "travel" to mine, I hoped that would work.
Well, as they say, "don't sweat it." There's plenty of other blogs to capture your interest.
Besides, I removed my entire archives from my original blog of almost 2 years, most of the material from the one you can access, and hardly have any posts up on the current blog due to impending publication constraints, although you motivated me to do a piece of music in the future that is not prohibited.
I liked your comments very much (especially with that bite of earthy sarcasm) and shall greatly miss them, though. Thank you for those. I'll still fly in here of course when I'm not hunting down free music on the internet that you and other commenters here suggested.