One good thing about being away from your home country is that you are not time bound by anything. I am relishing some really good music sitting here in New York of all places. And of all places becuz I am listening and discovering Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Saheb.
Today I returned home early after a client meet. Just wasn't feeling like going for more meetings. So cancelled the same and came to moi PG accomodation for the next two weeks. I stay with an Indian Punjabi couple (younger by a couple of years to me) in their spare room which suits moi spartan comforts just fine. A bed, ac, TV, balcony for moi smokes and to read. Well, it was just me and the lady of the house at home. Talks turned to music and a couple of Nusrat recommendations. Limewire is on always when I am in NY. I miss the fantastic download speeds when I am back home and make up for the downloads (guiltily albeit).
So I sat down to listen to Nusrat crooning "Kise da yaar na vichre". The start just blew me away. What a voice!! I had always liked Nusrat and listened to a few songs like "Piya re", "Aankhiyan nu chain na aawe" (always in the car - this one), "Ishq da Rutba" and so on. But this just sucked me inside the vortex. To find what you love and do it with complete passion and leave a legend behind. The idea of an Indian sitting in New York idling his time listening to a Pakistani singer over a cup of hot Nescafe with a Panjabi woman from Amritsar. Well, globalization or what? Oh and this woman had to stop listening to Nusrat songs as her husband grew jealous of Nusrat. She was NUTS about Nusrat and sacrificed listening to him just because her husband didnt like it. Sigh!! I am not getting the right word but some kind of purity comes close for love, passion whatever you call it.
The day I discover that in me - I will be at home. That's the only quality I yearn for. To be crystallized and forget everything else. The rest automatically falls in line and trust me I have seen this in very few people I have met. My ex-boss - Jagdish Moorjani who started Transworks and later sold it off. He was perhaps the only guy I have met who is so crystallized in what he does. An unexhaustive supply of passion in everything he does - whether he is talking to us lowly guys, his managers, his driver and others. Whether he is teaching, ordering or generally talking about something. You have his COMPLETE attention which is such a rarity. I have seen interviewers getting lost while interviewing me. I myself think about a hundred thingies even when I am driving, having sex (well not always hehe) or in general activities which should have moi full attention. Well, I am ranting today and it is not even late night with some Laphroaig in moi gut.
Am off listening to some more of Nusrat. Anyone in New York - let's meet up. I could do with some company.
5 comments:
For some bizzare reason I always thought you were from the female species. So I am really confused right now.
Reconnecting is an intense emotion. Be it any where and with any one.
interesting post... nusrat is great... and if u like sufi listen to abida and begum akhtar u will love them too.... abida is the godess of sufi music... such strong voice and such souful music... check it out...
and I think passion is the strongest thing that keeps us going in life... just that as u rightly said very few people it so strong and focused towards on thing... hope u are able to discover urs :)
Det-Res: It has happened before. It's good to be intense sometimes. So intense that you feel weak at the end of it..
Monika: I have listened to Abida before. Not Begum yet. Didn't find Abida as soul stirring as Nusrat. When he takes his voice to a high pitch with that haunting background, something stirs inside me. something dark. Will check the begum out.
Its an australian band, singing a marathi song. New age.
mail me.
Post a Comment