4.26.2006



MOST OF US LIVE OUT our lives in the world of time, in memories of the past and anticipation of the future. Only rarely do we touch the timeless dimension of the present - in moments of sudden beauty,or sudden danger,in meeting with a lover or with the surprise of the unexpected or utterly beautiful MUSIC. Music is something whose effect can't be ephemeral or the entire purpose is lost. If you listen to the modern day twangs, most of the sustainibility present in legends (like Pink Floyd, Madonna, Satriani, Dream Theater, Michael Jackson) is missing.

It happened one night. I was alone at home, sitting on the sofa unable to sleep. Restless. Trying to make sense of Basho. With Late Night Channel V on the idiot box when the song "Falling" began. The depth of her voice made my hair stand on end and I just closed my eyes to the sensation of the singer's voice floating around the hall surrounding me. I jabbed the sound volume to the max and surrendered to the voice. Totally unlike I had heard anyone else. Enjoyed the mist when I opened my eyes towards the end just so I could catch the song title and the singer's name before it faded away. Julee Cruise. Whose music I realised is unheard and unavailable in India. After a long, long search from the music stores to the bylanes of VT to meet the magician Razaq who had so far been able to procure any music for me at my whim. He turned his hands outwards in defeat finally and I had to then wait for a bitter two years for my first trip to US to be able to get the CD.


Julee Cruise is an artiste whose music is surreal. Her album "FLOATING INTO THE NIGHT" is an alchemy, a transformation that is not just verbal. Something different. Listening to her music is risky. Especially in the dead of the night in the sounds of silence. Just like listening to Pink Floyd is nothing less than death and rebirth.

Julee Cruise was capable of prodigious jumps not only beyond the accepted but also beyond the acceptable limits of today. I wonder why she is happy just living with her husband and two dogs in Manhattan. I wondered why didn't she create more music to the likes of "FLOATING INTO THE NIGHT". Maybe it was a complete circle for her. Maybe it's hard to improve upon perfection. Whatever it is - the lone CD lies securely nestled on my music shelf un-accessable to anyone but me. To be played undisturbed, alone and float into the night. Moi favourite song of the album:

Falling

Don`t let yourself be hurt this time
Don´t let yourself be hurt this time

Then I saw your face
Then I saw your smile

The sky is till blue
The clouds come and go
Yet something is different
Are we falling in love?

Don`t let yourself be hurt this time
Don`t let yourself be hurt this time

Then your kiss so soft
Then your touch so warm
The stars still shine bright
The mountains still high
Yet something is different
Are we falling in love?

Falling
Falling
Are we falling in love?

(It pissed me off to no end one day when I saw someone selling her CD for 50 cents on half.com)

32 comments:

~Nitoo Das~ said...

I went online and listened to a tiny sample of Falling. She does sound rather good, even though the lyrics aren't any great shakes.

Have you ever listened to k.d.lang? She makes me feel the same way.

White Magpie said...

I absolutely love K.D.Lang. The lyrics of Constant Craving are past compare!! Pardon the English. You might also want to hear Lorenna Mckennit..

Angel said...

I checked out Julee Cruise, and thought her pretty good, as well. I'm a big K.D. Lang Fan, too (and Aimee Mann, Alana Davis, Bonnie Raitt, Kate Bush). Here is a another to check out: Patty Griffin -- I LOVE the song "Be Careful"
Let me know what you think...

Ekta said...

Hey wow
Awesome post!
and u cldnt have had a better timing for this--what u said was soo true--how many of us live in the present!?
Thx for dropping by my blog--am sure gonna be a regular here1

karmic said...

Great post. Amazing how music can take you to a different place. Did this help you sleep later though?
I will occassionally have music transcend me to a different place. I think it has to do with not just the music, it also deals with how you feel at that moment, hopw open your miond or soul is. It depends on what you feel at the minute in time.
I have found Sarah Mclachlan's songs incredibly moving. Especially in the arms of an angel.
KD Lang rocks too.
I might find Julee Cruise on itunes? Should check her out.

Sujay Sukumar said...

I agree with what u say about todays music going down the cliff. And Pink Floyd is definitely great!!

Julee Cruise you say, I'll download this song and tell ya what I think. I like surreal music.

Blue Athena said...

music soothing, surreal
disturbing, evoking
placting, holding us nto
its arms when we let go...

Can't imagine my world without it. When I work, I have music on, when I drive, it's there. The moment I enter home, I switch on the system.

As I said, can't imagine my world w/out it.

Nice post. :)


P.S.: Basho. Hmmm.

White Magpie said...

Hi Angel, I haven't heard Patty Griffin yet. Tried scouring no morpheus but no luck. Will give it a whole effort over the weekend. Thanks for visiting and the song. It helps to broaden moi boundaries discussing tastes with others. Especially when the variety at the local music stores is restricted to making money.

Hiya Ekta, tx. I loved your favourite line.

Hola Karmic: I dont know whether Julee is on itunes. I usually stick to morpheus and livewire. Downloaded Sarah yesterday but havent heard it yet. The first time I heard it created a itch in me to get the full album which didnt happen for two whole years. But yes, the first time I heard it at home by myself, I did float and relax.

Personally, I find songs sung by women speak much more from the heart and are incredibly sensitive than men. No fights here okay?:)

Sujay: What do u listen to? In the surreal realm I mean.

Howdy Blue!! Same with me. What would we do with music? Is an incredible pacifier for our emotions. What tickles your ear buds?

Basho and Chuang Tsu. Really thought-provoking methinx.

White Magpie said...

Hi Angel, I haven't heard Patty Griffin yet. Tried scouring no morpheus but no luck. Will give it a whole effort over the weekend. Thanks for visiting and the song. It helps to broaden moi boundaries discussing tastes with others. Especially when the variety at the local music stores is restricted to making money.

Hiya Ekta, tx. I loved your favourite line.

Hola Karmic: I dont know whether Julee is on itunes. I usually stick to morpheus and livewire. Downloaded Sarah yesterday but havent heard it yet. The first time I heard it created a itch in me to get the full album which didnt happen for two whole years. But yes, the first time I heard it at home by myself, I did float and relax.

Personally, I find songs sung by women speak much more from the heart and are incredibly sensitive than men. No fights here okay?:)

Sujay: What do u listen to? In the surreal realm I mean.

Howdy Blue!! Same with me. What would we do with music? Is an incredible pacifier for our emotions. What tickles your ear buds?

Basho and Chuang Tsu. Really thought-provoking methinx.

che sara sara said...

nice blog..me first time here

Wanderer said...

Nice post... great info on Julee! Tempted me to check her music and got this link for whoever out there wanting to listen to her songs... http://www.davidlynch.de/jcruise.html
She's got an amazing voice...i closed my eyes and heard her...she just took over completely!
Music really transcends boundaries,cultures and hearts...
will keep visiting now. :)
'Falling' overall reminded me of Moby's Hotel and songs from Lord of the Rings (Elven language)being mixed...
ps; Loved what u described abt Pink Floyd- dying and being born again...sigh! But what a high...:D

Anonymous said...

Am pleasantly surprised to find another Indian who's listened to, and enjoys this music

I loved the way you wrote this piece..pretty much sums up how I feel about her too

:))))))))))))))

Anonymous said...

Which is why I wonder about one hit wonders..I mean why is the trerm used so deprecatingly? Maybe that one hit was what worked for the artist. Lovely read this one.

White Magpie said...

Welcome to muh pit, Sophia. Keep visiting moi :)

Hi Silvermoon, mucho thanks for dropping in. Music is integral to most of us. Loved ur poem..

Lovemarks hi - I will check the one's you said. Love recommendations moiself.

Chandni, you actually heard Julee before? I am very mucho pleasantly surprised too :) We could be a niche team u know? :) Reccomend any voices?

Cherie: Grrrrrrr!!! The entire album is great not just the one song...lol but I know what u mean...

Hi Karmic, I heard Sarah. Beautiful voice..

jugni said...

oh i love that album! didn't know there were other people out there who knew about her!

on a completely different note:
You have been tagged! And as a ‘tag victim’, you are supposed to do the following:

1. Come up with 8 different points of your perfect lover.
2. Mention the sex of the target.
3. Tag 8 victims to join this game and leave a comment on their comments saying they’ve been tagged.
4. If tagged the 2nd time, there’s no need to post again (merci merci!)

:)

White Magpie said...

Blow: You too? WoW!! Lovely. Raid ur jukeboix moi? :)

Now ah need to tug yer tag...Uno momento..

Russell CJ Duffy said...

i am a big fan of music and therefore was surprised that i din't know of julee cruise (what a great name). i will pop down to my local HMV or VIRGIN and buy the CD. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

ah...this is great..we must exchange notes!
Blow too?? Actually I am not surprised...that's a girl after me'own heart!

:)))))))))))))

White Magpie said...

Yes, Chandni. We must. Now if you could recommend some voices. Lorenna Mckennit, Eva Cassidy immediately come to mind.

If you are into rock, I wonder if anyone here has heard of Montrose. His voice is pure alpha male. Someone gifted me the best of Montrose. It rocks. Molly Hatchet is cool too. Along the lines of CCR and Lynnrd Skynnrd. Listen to their "Dreams". Needless to say, the CD's are unavailable in India. Try morpheus or other P2P software..

Enemy of the Republic said...

I love reading blog recommendations on music because I always am delighted with the result. I will get her CD. Thanks for the tip.

Queen Bee said...

Like the way you phrased it, surrendered to the voice ;)

I am one who's ok with all sorts of music, as long as it moves me. However I seldom listen to music. And when I do, it is one of those rare moments of SURRENDER; when I am emotional!

Dreamcatcher said...

I Love 'constant craving' ..lovely, lovely lyrics. went online to hear this song - sounds pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely your introduction to the music. Will certainly listen to the song.

exasparater said...

music!! iam weak in that subject!!!

exasparater said...

music!! iam weak in that subject!!!

White Magpie said...

Enemy of the republic: Welcome, always.

Queen - Ye have been missing in action. Welcome back. I guess ye listen to music a lot :)

Dreamcatcher - Wonderful singer..Gotany recos of your own?

PH hi

Exas - Music isn't a subject :o IS a way of life for most...Tx for the visit..

DysfunctionaL said...

wow - thats beautiful..

Queen Bee said...

Yes, more for this period of time :)))

San said...

i'm trying to dig this track out now :)

nice blog

Wanderer said...

where art thou? Been ages since read some more good stuff...

White Magpie said...

Dysfunctional: Welcome to moi abode. Tx and keep visiting moi.

Queen: :)

San: Tx and welcome.

Soul-search: Tx!!

Lovemarks: Ah was having a rollicking time gallavanting all over the place and then some. Will post soon. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! porsche accessories Signs of losing hair subaru outback slush mats