7.27.2006

I don't know whether the combination of a toothache and earache brings the beast out in a person but for me it worked slightly different. The medicines didnt work and I had a pounding in moi ear and tooth as I stood dutifully in the NWA queue to check in for the flight. The NWA dude was ready with the checklist in his hands firing away his top 20 idiotic questions for which I was in no mood.

Questions & Answers went like this:

Q: "What is your purpose of travel?
A: Business

Q: "How long are you planning to stay?"
A: 4 days

Q: Who are you visiting?
A: (me losing patience) A client

Q: What is the name of the client?
A: I don't have to answer that.

NWA is irritated (a leetle).

Q: From the time you packed the baggage, has it been out of sight?
A: (pretends to think a leetle - takes a minute actually) - Umm, yes. Once when I went to the loo in moi house.

NWA is visibly perturbed. Tries his stern stare.

Q: Are you carrying anything sharp, pointed or anything that is dangerous and prohibited?
A: None of those but moi hands are registered as lethal weapons

At this, NWA stops. Is in a quandary at what to do. Confused and pissed at the same time. I hear a stifled laff from the lady behind me. I give her a conspiratory wink.

NWA waves me on. I am free to wander. A pitstop at the bar. The rates are depressing. Are we in depression?? I move on to the trinket/book/shawl/etc shop. Pick Thomas Harris. I could read that guy again and again.

A tiny replica of an auto-rickshaw grabs moi full attention. 400 bucks. I let out a minor expletive. The girl attending to the shop asks me,"Is everything okay?" Would you like to buy anything? I gruffly bark, "Just the book, thanks!!"

I fill the immigration form and move towards customs. Moi brass balls don't set the metal detector off. I am finally free methinx. But it's not to be. Yet another swarm of NWA bees is standing at the last frontier with their questions. A nice looking girl alleviates the tooth ache a little. Shoots:

Q: Did anyone give you anything at the airport after you entered it?
A: Just a kiss. And..a pause..Er.. the boarding pass.

Giggles. Waves me on. By now, moi patience has worn thin and I am ready to crash in moi seat. I remember reading in the 9th standard about Gavaskar batting for the whole day with the toothache. The takeoff lends a new dimension to the earache and I am screaming in moi mind for the hostess to bring in the scotch. 15 minutes later, 2 pegs down, I am down and out.

The encounter with yakkety yak Americano on the flight back in similar condition is in the next post..

47 comments:

Crizzie Criz! said...

moi like oui style.

You were accurate on some counts, but wide off the mark on others. Thanks anyway, you really do have a talent.

And you ARE a great reader of behaviour!

Anand said...

hahah!hilarious!
Must say ur brave to try this with the NWA!
am getting tempted to try this myself!:-)

White Magpie said...

Crizzie: Khao Britannia 50-50 ;)

Anand: Ah!! I really didn't want to go this time so I tried everything possible. But Murphy's law prevailed as usual :)

Blue Athena said...

lol! :)

And when are you back?

Anonymous said...

I remember that Gavaskar lesson.
Don't take too many pangas in US of A. The airport officials have lost their sense of humour post 9/11. I mean it - have two stories to back it up.

Have fun.

S* said...

I admire someone who can remain witty in the face of customs, a toothache and an earache. Since I live in a bubble, I've never had to tangle with customs.

What's in a name? said...

Oh guess what..i went thru similar torture last year! Its terrible! and the scotch didnt work too!

Anonymous said...

whoa! reminds me of my encounters at the Geneva Airport!!

Damn annoying!

White Magpie said...

Blue: Am back. In facto was back before posting this.

Dadoji: I was past caring this time. Really didnt want to go. That aside, I haven't faced problems from the officials yet.

S: Good of you to pop in. Lucky you. Its only this side of the ocean that faces problemos :)

What's in a name: Tch..More scotch would help? gryn...

Chandni@Geneva: Ah..

P said...

LOL!
Loved your post..

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to that one. This was hilarious.

Ekta said...

haha!
Cant beleive u actually said all this!
U gotta be crazzyyy!

teacup said...

400 bucks for an autorickshaw?!!! heheh...my neighbour's grankid is so fascinated with auto's that everytime they coem down to India, he insists on travellin in them even tho they ahve a car...

and nice replies:)...never had a earache...never knew one existed!...I hope beautiful ears don't ache;)

White Magpie said...

Perspective..Thanks..and welcome :)

Cherie: Haha..next one coming up..the last bit was cracking...:

Ekta: Umm..'t was fun..I usually have heaps of fun at the airport ache or no ache..Have made some jolly good friends there..

Mahesh..'complete' check..Gryn..

Yashita: If the grankid ever eyes moi replica, there will be a hugo fight..hehehe...sigh the ache depends on the pile of boolsheet one listens to I guess :)

jhantu said...

Super funny boss. Especially the kiss and the boarding pass part, must try this sometime soon.

jugni said...

eheh.. waiting for th enext post! :)

Anonymous said...

abe tu aaya gaya kya hua?

Maithilee Shirgaonkar Jamsandekar said...

Patience with so much stupidity all around is certainly a virtue. I have to learn a lot more about it!

hope the tooth and ear are faring better now. :)

Monika said...

hey good post :) hope ur toothache and earache is doing better... i suffered with toothache sometime back and how it is

starry said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.you have a nice blog here , enjoyed reading this post.

Dreamcatcher said...

Super duper funny :) esp the 'Just a kiss. And..a pause..Er.. the boarding pass.'
:D

White Magpie said...

Jhantu: Hilarious..Your blog name is just hilarious...Welcome..

Blow: I must strike a blow for justice. wither were ye?

Pooh: How many names are ye gonna change? Was a quickie ;)

Meeta: Hummm..someone surfaced..ear and tooth are better..the tooth fairy visited me ;)

Monika: hehe..thanks!!

Starry Nights: Ye're welcome..

Dreamcatcher: Lol :D

Russell CJ Duffy said...

very funny. great to see the varied styles you use and with such consumate ease.

Lubna said...

Hope you are much better now.

Monami Roy said...

haar haar.
but...
is this worth tryin out or do the consequences meana fateful kick in the you know what by fate tryin ta act as smart ass wid da nwa?
i need ta know. i mean man, i cud be the next prez or somethin..
:P
peace..!!
\m/

karmic said...

LOL funny. Just don't try this with the immigration folks..

White Magpie said...

CJ: There you are..Where have your blogs disappeared? I used to enjoy whispering grass lotsa. I see it has reappeared but the others?

Dusty: Mucho better and in the pinkest of moi cheeks *:p*

MSP: Ah well. I was trying real hard not to fly and so tried all I could think of without resorting to extremes..Moi luck some found me funny and others exasperating but none stopped moi..

Karmic: Tch!! Now that u say..hehe..next time when I really dont want to travel...

Josh said...

LMAO! Love it! Although the NWA guys probably did not. haha

Nessa said...

came here after ages, WM.. how are you? are the aches and pains gone yet?

White Magpie said...

Hey Liz: They didn't. I sure did hehe..Welcome...

Yo Nessa: Yer entree after donks sent the alarm bells ringing in the center...woke me from alpha..How are u gurl? Aches are phantom. Pains are here to stay lol..

Nautilus said...

The NWA staff take themselves too seriously! For whatever karmic fate, I always end up being the last passenger to board the flight out of Amsterdam. So not only I get an extra dosage of the completely inane grilling, but also the impatient shoving of the security check people and dirty looks of the irate passengers inside the plane!

Toothache and earache seems to be a deadly combination...must confess I've never experienced either :-) But kudos to you for keeping your sense of humor intact!

Anonymous said...

Hope the tooth and ear are better. I absolutely HATE NWA and have sworn NEVER to travel with them again. Be careful in the US if you're still there. You might be arrested even if you're joking.

Enigma said...

Hey!
Thanks for stopping by at the blog and commenting :-)
I love the way you write!! Hilarious!!
Keep it going!

Keshi said...

I hardly talk to anyone on flights/airports. Not cos Im unfriendly but there r alot of annoying ppl who gives u a migraine for yonks!

Keshi.

ishipishi said...

hi...first time here...

had fun reading this:)...

d last time i wz at the airport, my flight was 4 hours late...it wz simply :(...hate it wen that happens (and it does happen way too often here!)...

tc...hope ur wkend's fun

Anonymous said...

:))...waiting for the next episode now, or are you flying via Heathrow?

Anonymous said...

time for a new post I guess???

quick quick!

White Magpie said...

Hello Nautilus: Bottomline - NWA sucks...Always out of food, stingy on the scoth along with many other shortcomings...Tx for dropping in :)

Mumbaigirl: Hehe..I thrive on fun during travel..Have poked fun with US airline staff too mucho times to stop now..But unlike u, I dont have a choice not to travel by NWA...

Hehe, Dolly. Thanks!! Welcome..

Keshi: If I see ye at any airport....

Ishita: Good of ye to drop in..Are u referring to AI by ne chance? ;) Weekend rocked...

E: Naw..am back already and flew via Schipol..I am sick of seeing that airport...

Chandni: Yes madame!!Eid ka chandni ye have become...

± said...

Thank your stars.
If you had to board the flight with that toothache from delhi you would have killed someone.
At the IGI Delhi, we have a gruff Haryanwi immigration and custom staff who have no idea what to ask but have to anyways.

Him (chaste hindi with Haryanwi dialect): Kahan jaa rahe ho?
Me : Form pe likha hai…

Him : Manne pata hai tu bahut likhta hai, par wapas aayega?
Me: 10 din mein

Him : Gori mil gayee to 10 janam tak na aye tu…. Le …ja…

I really was too irritated to say anything. It was an Air India flight and I had to keep my patience (whatever little there is) intact for the on board circus.

When I returned after 10 days as promised I was met by the country cousin of the gentleman who met me on my way out. But because I was back home I decided to give a fuck.

Him : Kahan se aa rahe ho?
Me: Plane se, plane kahan se aa raha hai form pe likha hai

Him : Manne pata hai tanne uddnne ka bahut shaunk hai… 10 din mein kyon aa gaya?
Me: gori nahin mili

Him : Arre tayein aaj kal ke chhoron ko to phasana hi nahi aata…

I gave up.

Varsha said...

Lol....i am rolling!!

hows the tooth and the ear? Better I hope...deadly combo I agree...common when your wisdom teeth are erupting..

DysfunctionaL said...

I've travelled so much in the past three months, I'm hating planes and airports and boarding passes and overweight luggage and airhostesses and airplane food and the whole scenario in general!

I wish I was the lady in line behind u, I would've thoroughly appreciated it too! =P

White Magpie said...

Varsha: Haha!! Had a great laff on reading ur tickle too..Tooth and ear are behaving well. I promised them another flight if they dont ;)

White Magpie said...

Varsha: Haha!! Had a great laff on reading ur tickle too..Tooth and ear are behaving well. I promised them another flight if they dont ;)

Dys: I hopefully wont have to travel for some time. Waaal other than Sydney..I dont mind going there..

P.S - I would too hehe

Wanderer said...

tee hee hee!!! Should've allowed for the lethal weapons your hands are and given the americano a toothache, maybe!?
Enjoyed reading this post!:)

that girl in pink said...

you didn't!
:)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Review of rio hair removal system Aircraft disaster america west airlines overnight patanol free blackjack dowload Sweater monkeys http://www.auto-bill-pay.info/neurontin-capsules.html