7.13.2006

Mumbai Stands Tall

The recent bombing brought these lines to moi mind as I witnessed the chaos that struck Mumbai.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
-- William Butler Yeats, "The Second Coming"

The show must go on. Mumbai stands tall amidst the mayhem and destruction. Salaam Mumbai.

15 comments:

Free_as_Falcon said...

I find it hard to believe that Mumbaikars have yet yet again been cheated. Resilience they call it, more like a term, to say even if we take no action, those idiots in Mumbai will return back to work, without a whimpeer.. No protest.. nothing.. their lives don't metter.. cause they are resilient.. I think it is time, they shed their thick skin for some senitivity and some demand from the government.

The perpetrators acheived what they wanted . They are not concerned whether Mumbaikars go to work or not. Tomorrow again there will be a similar bomb blast in some metro and again braindead people will talk abt resilence and salute the city for getting back to normalcy. Bloody hell man how long will this kind of nonsense be allowed to go on? Isnt it time to take the govt to task? No ofcourse not , we all will sit in our posh A/c cabins and write platitudes on the way people are standing united blah blah. Keep on saluting , today its Mumbai , tomorrow Delhi and so on and so forth.

White Magpie said...

Protests? Do you think a few more morchas and bandhs to protest are going to solve the problem? The problem is on a much grander scale.

At a micro level, I do what is possible in my capacity. Tackling the government and the concerned depts requires a different tack.

And pray tell what are you doing about it Mr.Cynic?

Free_as_Falcon said...

Excuses excuses , if there is a will there is a way. But who wants to leave the comforts of a cushy job and easy money.

You mean your capacity is to post about mumbai spirit and salute. All the media and people like you talk is about mumbai spirit and what not. What do you expect them to do, sit at home and cry? Will u give them money for food and rent? Naturally they would go to work and try and act normal. There is no choice for them. Neither will the govt do anything nor will the people . So let more attacks take place and we will raise a toast to the terrorists.

I am not writing post on Mumbai united and write poems on the resilence and spirit. Everyone has an excuse for sitting quiet or else they pass the buck.

White Magpie said...

Tch tch..where there is a will, there are thousand relatives ;) And why leave the cushy comforts when you have worked hard to earn it?

As goes the social contribution, what I do, I don't have to tell anyone for crying out loud. Since you are pointing fingers here, how about telling me about your contribution?

Lyrically speaking said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I agree the show must go on, great post and I like the pic which shows strenght. I am not at all familiar with Mumbaikar's story I will have to come back and read some more. Thanks for the visit to my blog

Blue Athena said...

Hmm.Being passive has started to really hurt us now.

Free_as_Falcon said...

How long will you go on writing about Mumbai united, Delhi United, Varanasi United? We as Indians should be ashamed and hang our heads in shame.

Look at Israel , for 2 doldiers they are ready to take the terrorists by the scruff of the neck. Here we are mouthing same old rhetortic and patting our backs as if we have won some war. India is a nation of sissies who will do nothing but talk and this is a fact which the terrorists seem to have understood well. Therefore , they can bomb any place anytime and we will sit and write poems and our media will heap praise on the unitedness.

Look at the size of Israel and learn how brave they are. They are surrounded by islamic countries all over but look at their attitude.

White Magpie said...

Delaleuverses: I visit thy blog often. Enjoy it. Thanks for hopping here.

Blue: Agreed. Any ideas for starters?

Cynicalcount: Who is writing about any Inc here? I was merely applauding the people'e efforts which need to be applauded no matter how natural or expected.

However, you are talking moi lingo about teaching the perpetrators a lesson. Any idea for starters?

Prmod Bafna said...

It was very sad that so many innocent people were killed for no reason of theirs in the serial blasts.. but the spirit shown by the people was a real inspiration and good example all around the country especially in todays world. A big salute to the spirit!

teacup said...

yup, the show must go on!!

hey btw...aren't u from bomaby too?

Monika said...

yes it was a horrible incident and mumbai indeed has springed back in action, Salaam Mumbai is the correct thing to say but at the same time we need to say a lot more things, to ask lot many question, take lot many pledges like who are these terrorists, what's their motive and motivation, how can we defeat them

PS: i like the way u write moi :) it adds a lovely charm to urself

Anonymous said...

I witnessed all this during my vacation break.

May I just say the terrorists *are* interested in turning the Mumbaikar into a neurotic and paranoid creature. So, not turning into one is worth all the praise in the world.

Anand said...

Well nothing dampens the spirit of Bombay...everytime bombay has faced a crises it has fought thru and come back as a winner!

shikha said...

We are so busy in our wellness that we forget about our well being..It's sad that we are so busy accumulating our lakhs that we know that we need to get to work the next day...without bothering to fight for our basic rights...soon the Mumbaikers will forget the incident and life will go on..I think that is very very sad!

White Magpie said...

Prmod: Indeed it is.

Yashita: Guilty as charged!!

Dadoji: Ye are one chill dude...

Anand: Yes. But I wonder now whether this is going to be a saga..Should change shouldn't it?

Silvermoon: If I could I would..right? :)

Shikha: Umm food for thought..Guess that is what is the rat-race..This is not the first and will definitely not be the last..