2.01.2010

Confessions of a resume writer in denial

So like I mentioned earlier I think its time for me to move on. Perhaps. The doubt still lingers. To propel this thought forward, I spent considerable time making my experience docket, dribbling it with key experiences etc and finally uploaded it on a couple of mainstream job sites. A couple of days later, I got a call which went like this:

Caller (female): Hi, am I speaking to XXX?
Me: Who wants to know?
caller: I am Pooja calling from Naukri.
Thinking this to be a sales pitch for their resume services, I grumbled a little mentally but persevered to see what she said next.
Me: Yes, I am XXX. What is the context of this call?
Pooja: Sir, we came across your recently uploaded CV on our website and wanted to speak to you about it.
Me: Umm.
Pooja: Did you avail of any professional resume writing services for the CV?
Here comes the pitch. Or so I thought.
Me: Nope. I don't need any professional assistance to make a CV. I need it to find a great opportunity.
Pooja: You made it yourself?
My nose was on the grindstone by then. I hate repeating myself. Typical male trait. So with a few deep breaths, I replied:
Me: Yes.
Pooja: And did you take the help of anyone?
Me: Why so many questions about it?
Pooja: Actually when we saw this CV, we thought you are a professional resume writer. We haven't seen such a professional and creative CV in a long time.
Umm..this was interesting. So I bit my tongue.
Pooja: My Director would like to speak to you at a convenient time. Could you advise a suitable time?
Me thinking - Wow. What is this about?
Me actually: Sure. Say in 30 minutes?
Pooja: Ok. She'll call you.

After 30 minutes:
Director: Hi, this is Rashmi from Naukri. Thanks for etc. etc.
Me: Yeah thanks. Hope you are doing good etc.etc.
Director: Could you share your professional experience with me?
Me: Ok. I've done etc etc etc yada ya. Went on for 5 minutes. So that's about it in a nutshell.
Director: Wonderful. To come to the point I'd like to make you an offer. We are really impressed with your CV and the way you have put that information in a concise creative format. We wanted to ask if you would consider working for us professionally.
Me is wondering which experience in me CV is relevant to naukri.
Me: Umm. What kind of work?
Director: Would you like to join our creative team in a xx position to help aspiring individuals build better CV's?
I am tongue-tied here.
Me: Umm. But I am looking to make my career in selling offshoring services. I have no experience in your kind of work.
Director: Your CV more than speaks about your creative skills which we can use. It would be a shame to let it go waste.
Happy glow pervading all over my face.
Me: Thanks for the appreciation. But I really am focussed on making a career in sales and then my own consulting business.
After a few more tries:
Director: How about doing the CV's on a free lance basis for us in your spare time?
I let out a loud groan.
Me: It took me almost 5 days to put that thing together. And a lot of induced creativity. I don't think so.
Director: We are ready to pay xxxx per CV.
Angel on one shoulder and the devil pops on another.
Me: Thanks but it would be too much effort and I really wouldn't be doing justice to my current job or you.
Director: Please do think about this. Pooja will call you again in a few days to check with you.
Me: Sure. Thanks a ton. And wish you a good day ahead. I only hope it helps me gain entry into a good firm.
Director: I'm sure the least it will do is open doors for you but think about it. Have a good day.

WTF? What kind of a curveball was that? I put the pillow over my head and went off to sleep. It reminded me of my interview with the editor of Mid-day. I'll write about it someday later.
P.S - Names have been changed to protect identities yada yada...
Current Music: CCR: Bad Moon Rising

3 comments:

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

congratulations r in order!
ah, how I wish i could have the arrogance to freelance :)

White Magpie said...

Chi: I think very soon I will do the freelancing part..You have all that. You only need to convince one person: You :)

Arunima said...

hey, that's really nice. take it up. How I wish someone would ask me that!