I was driving home on the weekend from Whisper Valley. It's a steep climb for a kilometer or so, largely unilluminated and without a divide to add to the agony. Before this I must mention that I've narrowly missed have huge accidents on three occasions in the past week. I attribute it to the huge Chinese good luck charm that hangs from the rearview mirror and the horse shoe cufflinks I wear at times. It's not that my senses are not on alert these days. One of those phases which are unfathomable to the ordinary mind.
I put the fog lamp on for good measure 'cause sometimes even the two legged creatures who take a piss at the side and choose to cross the road in gay abandon are hard to spot at times. Halfway up the climb I suddenly noticed this puppy heading right under its glorified death - the right front wheel. I twisted the wheel in full force, slammed the brakes but couldn't escape the triple squeals - one from the victim, one from my car and the rest from the fellow road travellers. I imagined a bump too as if the tyre had passed over a small lump on the road. Fearing the worst and amidst the loud squealing and whimpering emanating below the middle of the car, I got down and tried to place the little bundle. It stood right between the rear two wheels obviously in pain but thank the lord - uncrushed in any way. I tried to hold it below its armpits and pull it out but the little bastard nipped my pinky :). Instant justice I think but I persisted in my efforts all the time making appropriate noises from my throat. This was a nice little drama in the middle of the road and some cars had by then positioned their cars with full headlights to help my case. I gave up for a couple of minutes and the puppy ceased its squealing by a couple of octaves. A couple of deep breaths and I pulled the puppy out as gently and as fast as possible before it realized that I suckered it and held it up for fresh air. It jumped right out of my arms, scrambled through the hole in the fence of a nearby garden and started howling to glory. Ach!! I parked the car next to the fence, opened the dicky and removed some of the biscuits I had bought from Hypercity. And thus started the patient wait. A few doggie whistles, a few yu yu's and I was feeling like a kid already. My heart was in my mouth though as I had seen it limp and drag itself to the garden.
10 minutes: No go.
20 minutes: The puppy went deeper into the bushes but was still in the garden.
25 minutes: I threw a few biscuits on the path leading to its hideout trying all sorts of whistles.
30 minutes: Puppy does a peek a boo, ventures out and goes right back in.
40 minutes: A loud bark and another dog gets into the garden. The puppy yelps and rushes out through the whole limping and squealing again. By now I know the fella is only scared and maybe bruised a little. I grabbed him up and gave it a hug for a few minutes.
There were these two street kids watching this whole drama unfold all this while. So I took the puppy and the kids to the nearby tea shop. The three of us had tea, the doggy had biscuits and I lit up. The doggy licked my pinkie in consolation and sat nicely ensconced in my arms. We sat this way for a while with MJ crooning "I just cant stop loving you". And then with a heavy heart I placed it back where it belonged and went my way. Smelling of dog and clothes layered with dog hair.
But felt much much lighter in the right place. Like I said in an earlier post, if you give anyone enough time and space it melts even the toughest cookie. One point at a time.
I put the fog lamp on for good measure 'cause sometimes even the two legged creatures who take a piss at the side and choose to cross the road in gay abandon are hard to spot at times. Halfway up the climb I suddenly noticed this puppy heading right under its glorified death - the right front wheel. I twisted the wheel in full force, slammed the brakes but couldn't escape the triple squeals - one from the victim, one from my car and the rest from the fellow road travellers. I imagined a bump too as if the tyre had passed over a small lump on the road. Fearing the worst and amidst the loud squealing and whimpering emanating below the middle of the car, I got down and tried to place the little bundle. It stood right between the rear two wheels obviously in pain but thank the lord - uncrushed in any way. I tried to hold it below its armpits and pull it out but the little bastard nipped my pinky :). Instant justice I think but I persisted in my efforts all the time making appropriate noises from my throat. This was a nice little drama in the middle of the road and some cars had by then positioned their cars with full headlights to help my case. I gave up for a couple of minutes and the puppy ceased its squealing by a couple of octaves. A couple of deep breaths and I pulled the puppy out as gently and as fast as possible before it realized that I suckered it and held it up for fresh air. It jumped right out of my arms, scrambled through the hole in the fence of a nearby garden and started howling to glory. Ach!! I parked the car next to the fence, opened the dicky and removed some of the biscuits I had bought from Hypercity. And thus started the patient wait. A few doggie whistles, a few yu yu's and I was feeling like a kid already. My heart was in my mouth though as I had seen it limp and drag itself to the garden.
10 minutes: No go.
20 minutes: The puppy went deeper into the bushes but was still in the garden.
25 minutes: I threw a few biscuits on the path leading to its hideout trying all sorts of whistles.
30 minutes: Puppy does a peek a boo, ventures out and goes right back in.
40 minutes: A loud bark and another dog gets into the garden. The puppy yelps and rushes out through the whole limping and squealing again. By now I know the fella is only scared and maybe bruised a little. I grabbed him up and gave it a hug for a few minutes.
There were these two street kids watching this whole drama unfold all this while. So I took the puppy and the kids to the nearby tea shop. The three of us had tea, the doggy had biscuits and I lit up. The doggy licked my pinkie in consolation and sat nicely ensconced in my arms. We sat this way for a while with MJ crooning "I just cant stop loving you". And then with a heavy heart I placed it back where it belonged and went my way. Smelling of dog and clothes layered with dog hair.
But felt much much lighter in the right place. Like I said in an earlier post, if you give anyone enough time and space it melts even the toughest cookie. One point at a time.
Current music: Lobo: Me and You and a dog named Boo
No comments:
Post a Comment