8.09.2010

Tick Tick Two

Second post from nice climes. I think the city is in a progressive mode but people around me say everyone is waiting for the second dip post crisis. The unemployment is around 8% and the people in retail stores seem to be scrimping which as a domino effect everywhere.

After two weeks of staying in a hotel, I finally moved to a house. After living in Nizam city Hyderabad, London houses seem to be kennels. Even the 2 bhk with one storey seems to be smaller than my home in India. The size of the rooms is definitely small. I plan to stay here for maybe 2-3 months and then move into a larger house. I've become a sort of expert on how to spot and clinch the sharpest deals in rent-a-home or anything that has to be bought for that matter. I had a look at two different Indian spots - Harrow and Wembley. Conclusion - Wembley is dingy. Harrow on the hill rocks. Pinner is good. Harrow & Wealdstone are good too in some areas. Likewise some parts of Stanmore. But Wembley definitely sucked for me. Advise for Indians coming to London and looking to stay in a cosmo place with an Indian feel, don't go farther than Harrow on the hill. If I stay in London long enough, I might buy a house here but my plans are eventually to move towards California :). That place brings a smile on my face. Orange country especially. Or some obscure part of Europe. Maybe Austria. I have a feeling I will make my millions here in London.

The energy in this place is incredible. So is the diversity. East Europeans, Afghanis, apna desis, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Chinese, Africans - you name it and they exist. Its even more incredible than New York because so many live here and exhibit their creativity inspite of the discrimination supposedly prevalent. I had a mild dose of it already. I was travelling by bus around 8 in the night from King's Cross when this old man asked me in his typical Brit accent," And what the heck are you doing in my country?" I chose to ignore him for fuck's sake. But he persisted. "Answer me Paki". So I asked him with extreme politeness in my sotto voice,"Your country, is it? What's your name?" He answered something like "Stanley Jakowski". And the whole bus laughed. So that was that.

Then I saw this incredibly sensitive looking gay guy sitting two seats away on the tube. Carmine hair tied in a pony better than any girl I've seen, carmine lips and carmine eyebrows too for that matter. Incredibly feminine and sitting with perfect freedom in the train without a bother. No one gave him a second look other than my discreet stares. The freedom is just incredible to be what you want to be. And then the massive tattoo culture, run your hand through your hair styles adopted even by the bigshots on Canary Wharf, leather mischief et al. It was quite a double dose of pure oxygen.

2 comments:

RiĆ  said...

Oh wow, so u hav moved to London. That sounds gr8. And hope u make ur millions soon enough. :D Good luck!

Aradhita said...

I know and I loved London for this freedom. and for its diversity...was pleasantly surprised today to see a comment on my SYB blog....made me smile...I guess I am still going through post London depression in some sense